Friday 4 January 2019

A Season of Parties at Home! The Joy of Giving Away!



Barbra the beautiful bride on Dec 24th 2018
We just had a mevoluous season!

Okuhingira Barbara. Then her wedding to her beloved Justus and all that comes with it.

Barbra my young sister is the only girl among my mothers children. I hope this is good English. We are four boys and her. So my mother produced the five of us.

My mother is a strong woman. I need to cross check this fact but I think before her early 30 years of age, she had all of us here and about. My father got her just in time. She is therefore still beautiful and energetic. You can read about her in my other pieces on my blog.

Before I found Omukyara the two: Barbra and my Mother were the only women of my life. Later on, my friend Humura joined. I now have four of them. I also have other two sisters and a brother. So add to the five I mentioned earlier on. We are a a big family.

Of the women of my life, Omukyara and Humura occupy more space on my mind because they are full time partners.

Now Barbra has left with another man.

Barbara in the sitting room at home on her
give away Dec 24th 2018 
I can tell you something small about Barbra. Just something brief about her childhood. She grew up loved. My grandmother gave Barbra many names. The prominent one was Nyakikongoro. But there was also another name: Ekiteramasinde! I particularly liked the second name. I could tell you why, if we had evening tea together. The other thing that I remember about Barbra is that she really breastfed. Actually, she would go out playing and whenever she was tied, she could come to my mother and ask to drink. On the day she let go, a lady friend of my mother had visited. It is the friend that advised that way. So they sent me for some red paper which was applied on my mother's breast. This was enough. Barbra went out crying never to touch our mother's breast again. Barbra had excellent health all through her childhood. I don't remember her getting bedridden due to sickness. The rest of us had some malaria episodes here and there. But not much. We all really had good health. nothing threatening. Thank the heavens. Many children in our community suffered all sorts of illnesses.

There is something else I remember but cannot write here. It's one of those funny things that ought to be kept a secret.

In our culture, there is a proverb which attests that "...it's better for an old woman who studied your childhood days to die before you are an adult..." Akakeikuru kakumanya kuri okura kakafa.. Whenever we meet at home, we normally share those childhood memory things. Some of those things are too funny. I think it will be cool when our children grow to hear some of these stories. They will laugh! Or by the way they may find the stories not funny. Kids of these days do not face life the way we did. Who among them will go to well to fetch water ? Or go out grazing cattle ? I think my brothers will agree with me. Our kids will miss our kind of life. They are here wearing shoes in cars hehehehe.

Barbara studied at great schools, Kashozi Boarding Primary School, Keizooba Girls, Bweranyangi Girls and later faced the gates of the great Makerere for her undergraduate.

I think Barbra did not study primary one. Because our mother was a primary school teacher, Barbra stayed with Mum in P.2 untill she was of age to proceed to P.3. Actually most of my Mums former pupils now big people did carry baby Barbara.

You know, teachers had a way of bring their children in class. The baby would be in the conner as lessons are going on. At break time, it was fine to find the other children requesting to carry the baby. It was just fine.  Is this still happening ?

So Barbra must have had at least two or three years in Primary two. She skipped Nursery and Primary one.

Leaving aside the light side, Barbra is now a woman! Soon she will have a clan around her. Her own children etc. Perhaps I will also add other women at my household to follow my friend Humura. This is about seasons that come and go. Do you know that song ? It's a cool song by the Anglican Youth Fellowship - AYF. They are very good! I sometimes wonder why they still refer to themselves as youth. these are some mature guys. But they are still AYF. I should ask my best man why this is so. He knows these guys more. 

So we had such a great give away ceremony for Barbra at home. The weather was perfect, the food was plentiful and our friends and relatives showed up. Some of our friends actually visited home for the first time. My friend Mujuni came with his wife Patience. It was cool to receive Patience at home. Hope also came. She had her sister and brother. They enjoyed the party, at least they told me so. It's impossible for me to mention all friends that turned up. They were many! Thank you all for coming. The Area Member of Parliament,the District Chairperson and his dear wife, the Mayor of the Municipality  and many other leaders came too. 

To say it differently, we had a multitude of people at my fathers compound on December 24th 2018. One day, the younger ones who danced nearly all night will tell the stories. People of Peties' age and those younger. They danced till late. We had Ekibali singing and Doris dancing too. Great decoration by Teacher Alice and all other beautiful things that happened. We also had a good MC in Speed.

In the middle of it all, Lonah a long time friend of Barbara walked with her around. They actually danced walking. I have not yet conceived why dancing has become part of these parties. All I know is that in our culture, a bride is supposed to be as composed as a giraffe in strong wind. But this is changing. Brides and their entourage dance a round. some sing actually. So Barbra Danced too! She was beautiful and her entourage too. 

I gave a speech. I told everyone about our family. The four core attributes that make us:  

We believe and in Trust in God the giver of everything. 
We are humble people - our Dad especially.
We work hard - we are self made and seek our own identify. 
We love ourselves a lot - we are family - we care for one another. 

I then introduced people:  Our core Family, Ba - Shwenkuru , Ba shwento , Ba shwenkazi - Mr Mugisha and his entire family, Ba Marimi, Bamawento, Friends of our family - Rev. Rukundo, Mr Muhanguzi, our in-laws, Barbra's employers, our friends ad abataka. I thanked everyone! 

Barbara and her beutiful maids on Dec 29th 2018. 
Because of the Okuhingira things, our entire family missed church on December 25th. This was perhaps the first time in many years that we missed church on christmas day. Or maybe there was another time that I don't remember.

Did the church miss us ? I hope so. We had the church leaders the previous day at home. They are our people. Leaders at our church are forever friends to my parents. 

So we remained home on Dec 25th to clean around, wear off fatigue and all that. Stories from church indicated that they had a great service.

I was able to attend church on Dec 26th. The preacher, some old Reverend appealed to us to be bold in doing right. To stand firm on truth always. He spoke about St Stephen in Bible and how he died for the sake of the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Barbra and Her Husband receiving a gift from Dr Kiiza Besigye.
In our culture, such occasions transcend politics.
My mother is a staunch NRM leader.
Leaders from diverse political parties were hosted at the party

On December 29th, Barbra and Justus had their wedding occasion.

This was at St Peter's Cathedral Bweranyangi. The couple enjoyed their day.

The choice of the church was perfect. Remember Barbra went to Bweranyangi Girls Secondary School for her high school. The school is just adjacent to the church of her wedding. Justus grew up around the same hill. What a memorable experience.

Barbara was beautiful. She is such a beauty. You know she resembles my Mum a lot. They are beautiful women.

The day was special. The couple hosted their guests at a hotel in Bushenyi town. We had a great time. My friend Norah did sing at their wedding. We had good food. Many people attended including the area Women Member of Parliament Bushenyi District and Dr Kiiza Besigye. It was sort of a mix of colours. What a cool day. Where love is, people from all walks of life meet and greet pleasantly. 

I gave a speech too: 

Barbra & Justus 

My parents Mr and Mrs Bikosa on whose behalf I stand to speak this day!  Religious Leaders, Political Leaders ,Our relatives, all our our friends , Ladies and Gentlemen! 
Barbra! 
What a beautiful day ! Can could you imagine such wonderful weather ? Look how beautiful you look! And everything thing here is beautiful!  Let me thank people who have been in your life! 
- Thank you Dad. You love us! You sacrificed a too much for us. 
- Thank you Mum. You love us.  
- Thank you - Edmund, Edson & Peter. You have loved Barbra too. 
- Thank you our wives - Omukyara, Nyamunyonyi and ; Kikwanzi. You have loved Barbra. 
- Thank you Barbara's friends! You are many! You have been with her. I could name those I know.
- Thank you all our relatives.
- Thank you so much the Bible Society of Uganda. Barbra has not worked else where. You received and embraced her. You are part of our family. Justus, please do yourself a favor. Live the work that Barbra does at BSU. Meet and befriend her friends and workmates at BSU. You will find it enriching and valuable. You will be in the right path that way. You will speak to Barbara's heart that way. 

Edmund has already said enough about Barbra. Let me add one thing. We love you Barbra. And we know you love us too. Justus, Barbra is a dedicated human being. You have to work with her. You need to think with her. You have married a serious woman. Be a real man. Mean this that you have started. 

Let me introduce introduce our family & Friends. 

-  Dad & Mum  Bashwento, Bashwenkazi, Omwahure weitu hamwe na Omuburuzi weitu, Bamarimi, Ba Nyakwento our in-laws.. sinc, Our Cousins - Thank you so much Polly, Paghi Mugisha & your wives for joining us. Thank you all our cousins who are here.  All our friends! Mwebare! 

Barbra, Dad & Mum gave you a heifer. Bikosa foundation gave you one too. Dad & Mum natured & educated you! Gyenda obe omukazi. Mukama akuhe omugyisha omukayaawe. 

On December 30th we visited a good lady in Rubindi. She is a good friend. A window, down to earth and one who loves. She gave gave to us from her granary. 

I preached at our Church on New Years Day. This had not been part of schedule for the season. The leader of our church asked me to through a phone call. I did accept.  

Mukama Asiimwe ! 
Mukurike omwaka bantumwe! 

This has been a long one! Let it stop here.

The Joke of the year during the give away ceremony of Barbra was that the next at our compound would be that of my friend Humura. We pray for you madam and look forward.

7 comments:

Ajuna Newton Brian said...

Good writeup

Nice Ritah said...

Beautiful,thank you Mark for sharing your festive season experience

Mark Mwesiga Bikosa said...

Thanks you Mr Ajuna my brother and your dear wife for honouring our invitation! It was great to host you at home!

Mark Mwesiga Bikosa said...

My pleasure! God bless your 2019 Ritah and your entire family !

Unknown said...

The joy of having a sister.......thank goodness for Barbie. She was a very cute bride.

Blessings dear.

Mark Mwesiga Bikosa said...

Thank you so much! Blessings too!

Nuwasasira Stellah( Flower) said...

THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL, CONGZ BABRA, MAY GOD CONTINUOUSLY BLESS HER IN HER FAMILY

Mark Mwesiga's Featured Post

Beautiful Day: We got another wife on Saturday 23rd!

In our culture, a wife is for the home or maybe I should write that a wife belongs to the home! You don't go get a woman alone and hav...