Saturday 14 May 2022

I got MPH and was at the Graduation Ceremony in Person

On May 6th, 2022, I woke up a bit early. I normally get out of bed at 6:30 am on my usual days. But that Friday, I got up a few minutes earlier. It was such a rainy morning. My daughter got me to wake up early. She is close to 5 years and very cheeky. She was excited about my graduation. I had brought the graduation gown the previous night and she had asked very many questions. I agreed to her request that we would be together at the graduation ceremony. She was overjoyed. She made sure to wake up so early to wake me up to prepare. 

So we drove to Uganda Martyrs University-Main Campus in Nkozi. It is about 70 KM from Entebbe to Nkozi. 

I decided to attend this graduation ceremony because the journey to it was a bit rough. When I did a master' Degree at Uganda Management Institute just a few years ago, it was not as tough. My job then was not as busy and I was a bit younger. I always don't find issues with academic stuff. 

During my MPH studies, I just had no time! I missed several lectures mostly due to but also a few social demands. When we had just started the MPH our daughter was born. I was in class that evening. on Friday 22nd September 2017. I received a distress call to rush home. I missed some lectures that weekend. I was overjoyed by the smile on the baby's face as I prayed for her on the morning of Sept 23rd. I just couldn't go to class. No way! I think I missed classes for the next weekend too. We used to have to sleep in turns to offer care etc.  

But work demands made it rougher. In the middle of the studies was in the USA in July 2018 over work matters. I missed a couple of lectures which was not so bad. Bit missed the class test and coursework. I was returning home on Thursday so I could attend lectures and a test on the weekend. I missed my flight on KLM. I had been booked on a bus from Mishawaka in Indiana to Chicago. The bus had many stops. Too many stops! At one time even a new driver joined and the other driver who was leaving the seat took about 25 minutes giving instructions. They were both black people. I thought of speaking to them in Runyankole that we had over-delayed on the way. All along, I was looking at my watch. The last announcement to take-off was made for my scheduled flight was made just as I checked in at the airport. I remember the hasty voice of the lady who was announcing. I think more than one passenger missed that Chicago - Amsterdam flight that afternoon. They announced so many times that I felt dizzy. In the USA airports, there is too much security checking. You need to be at the airport for at least 2 hours to make it smooth. I think the ideal is 3 hours as is the norm for sure. Anyway, I missed the flight. I had to be booked on another flight the next day. The work partners I had visited were kind to book me on another KLM flight the next day. Somehow I got on business lass for that trip. I enjoyed that. But didn't attend the tests at school that weekend too. As we neared completing the course, I got a leadership role at work. The demand for my time for work further increased. I think it doubled this time! Some of these jobs can be so time demanding. As a matter of fact, there should be some compensation for this. I will be advocating for this kind of thing at my next level soon! So I had to retake one exam. 

Retaking an exam was not easy. I had never failed an exam. Anyway, there is always the first time. The university also asked me to pay for the exam, delayed handing in research reports, and missed the graduation year. It was a lot of money. I paid anyway. If there are any gifts you send, bring cash hahaha! 

So I got the Masters in Public Health - MPH - Health Promotion. It was joyful to be there. At the graduation ceremony. There were lots of people and dancing. The Prime Minister Rt. Hon. Robina Nabanja was the Chief Guest. I like her 'reality'. She speaks good English. I waited for her speech and she didn't disappoint. She gave out some brown envelopes to everyone who was awarded anything. She is a lovely woman. I think.

It was such a rainy morning all through. I found my classmates who had missed earlier graduation too. that was a bit of relief or call it consolation. So had some photo moments as the ceremony went along. I can imagine some organized parties etc. They were equally excited to have come to the end. Let us see if we go ahead to read more. The bottom line is that something more should have to come. Change!

  

The next day was May 7th. it was 11 years of Marriage for us. We didn't quite celebrate. But we had a nice talk and great feelings. we attended a wedding party for Mr. Patrick Mutabwire's son. Uncle Patrick as we call him is a friend of my father. he never misses any weddings at our home. The groom didn't dance a bit at all. We laughed about it. Later on, as we left the reception, Hazel and Omukyala did some dancing. We drove home talking and feeling good. 

Hazel & Cathy Dance


The next day Sunday the 8th was mothers day! 


With Mum on Mothers Day 2022


That same weekend, our high school English teacher, friend, and now mother-in-law had a thanksgiving church service. She had attained a Ph.D. in Languages, Culture, and Society. We were excited about that. Teacher Alice Tumwesigye was now Dr. Alice. We loved it at the church. The Rt. Rev. Dr. Sheldon Mwesigwa preached about being grateful. We drove to Kampala after the Church service. We had some photo moments outside the church after the church service.  

With Alice Jossy Kyobutungi Tumwesigye (PhD), Peter, Cathy, Mum, and Hazel 

It was such a great weekend. 


No comments:

Mark Mwesiga's Featured Post

Beautiful Day: We got another wife on Saturday 23rd!

In our culture, a wife is for the home or maybe I should write that a wife belongs to the home! You don't go get a woman alone and hav...